Telephone Service

Telephone Service

Telephone Service The first public telephone exchange in England, connecting a few subscribers in the City of London, was installed in August 1879, but by the end of the year, exchanges were installed in many British cities. The first telephone directory was published...
Post Offices

Post Offices

The Post Offices In 1912 outside the post office. Emma Wadey with a female assistant and nine postmen. She remained postmistress until 1938. In the 1930’s and today. The village has had a post office from 1840. Rather surprisingly, it has operated from six...
Vicarages

Vicarages

The Vicarages The Vicarages There are known to have been at least four vicarages in the village. The first mention of a vicarage was in 1636 when it was recorded that there was ‘one dwelling house … commonly called … the Vicarage House, one little...
Village Hall

Village Hall

Village Hall The village hall was built as a poorhouse early in the eighteenth century. It is alleged to have been built on the foundations of a Benedictine monastery, quite possibly using the original sandstone. However, no evidence has come to light to confirm this....
Bridges

Bridges

Village Bridges Simmonds Bridge Simmonds Bridge is where Harsfold Lane crosses the Green River. There has been a bridge here for at least four centuries, it being mentioned by the Water Bailiff in 1638, and marked on maps of 1795, 1804 and on the Ordnance Map of 1813....
Facebook