Recipe of the Month
MANGO, COCONUT & LIME SEMIFREDDO
I made this delicious dessert for the first time recently and took to a friend’s summer bbq; it was really popular! I actually found it in a magazine last Christmas as a suggestion to follow a festive meal! So, it obviously goes down well at any time of year! Don’t worry if you can’t find the suggested star fruit (I couldn’t!) for decoration, or indeed bother with the 6 physalis as no-one ever seems to eat these! I just added more slices of mango and pieces of coconut – up to you how to decorate!
- 1 x 400g tub mango slices in juice, drained
- 4 medium egg yolks
- 100g caster sugar
- 1 x 300ml carton double cream
- 175ml coconut cream
- Juice and zest of 2 limes
- 50g desiccated coconut
- 1 ripe mango, peeled and sliced
- 1 star fruit, sliced (optional)
- 100g ready-prepared coconut pieces, finely sliced
- 6 physalis (optional)
- Zest of 1 lime
- Line the base of a loaf tin measuring 20cm x 9cm x 7cm with baking paper. Line the whole tin with clingfilm to give extra support when you are lifting the semifreddo out of the tin.
- Blend the mango slices to a purée, pour this into the bottom of the tin. Freeze it while you prepare the semifreddo.
- Whisk the egg yolks and sugar in a bowl over a pan of simmering water until the eggs turn pale and thick, then remove from the heat and set aside to cool.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the double cream until thick, then stir this through the egg mix.
- Add the coconut cream, lime juice and zest and desiccated coconut. Stir to combine.
- Remove the tin from the freezer – the mango should be lightly set. Spoon the cream mix on top, cover with clingfilm and freeze overnight.
- To serve, remove from the freezer and turn out on to a board. Top with the sliced mango, star fruit (if using), physalis (if using), coconut and lime zest.
WARNING: This recipe contains raw/partially cooked eggs.
(Recipe Courtesy of Sainsburysmagazine.co.uk )