Recipe of the Month
As it’s holiday time, here’s a delicious dish to get you in the mood for those beautiful Greek islands maybe?!
Hands-on time – 30 mins
Cooking time – 40 mins
- 500g bag spinach
- 300g lean lamb mince
- ¼ – ½ tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 ½ tsp dried oregano
- 1 medium egg
- 50g feta cheese
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
- 4 filo pastry sheets, each measuring about 32 x 38cm
- Heat a little water in a large pan till simmering, add spinach. Stir then cook until wilted. Tip into a colander and set aside.
- Return empty pan to heat and add lamb. Fry until golden then drain and discard excess fat. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees C (180 fan) or gas mark 6. When spinach has cooled a bit, squeeze out as much water as you can and chop it roughly. Put spinach into a large bowl. Stir through lamb, nutmeg, oregano, egg and plenty of seasoning. Crumble over feta and gently stir.
- Brush one side of each filo sheet with a little oil then arrange oil-side down in a 20.5 cm (8”) round springform cake tin. Make sure there are no gaps at the base or sides (leave excess filo hanging over the edges).
- Put filling into pastry and level the surface. Cover the filling with the excess pastry, scrunching up the filo.
- Bake pie in oven for 20 minutes then unclip and remove metal rim. Bake for a further 10 minutes until the sides are golden.
- Serve warm or at room temperature. A green salad makes a good, simple accompaniment to this pie.